Dear friends and family,

Our TNT cycle team

In just about a month, my teammates, Jennifer, and I will tackle our goal of cycling 100 miles in one day. Over the past 12 weeks, we have been gathering on Saturday mornings to train together. At the start of each ride, we have had one member of our team talk about why they are taking on this challenge.

I’ve heard stories of moms, sisters, dads, friends, coworkers — and even teammates that have battled some form of cancer. Some had happy endings of survival — some did not.

This past Saturday morning, it was my turn to share my story. I talked about how in June of 2006, my dad was diagnosed with Leukemia and my mother-in-law was diagnosed with Lymphoma. In addition, a co-worker passed away from his battle with cancer that same year.

That June just seemed to be the worst for my loved ones. On June 30th, it was even worse. My dad was undergoing his first round of chemo, and not doing well. At the onset, we were told that the treatment that could save him could also very well take his life. On the night of the 30th, our fears were coming true. My dad developed a fever and his doctors were worried about him making it through the night.

My brother called me from his room and told me, I needed to talk to my dad. He didn’t say why, but I knew. My dad was weak and could barely speak. I did all of the talking and told him that he just had to hang in there. June was a bad month, and he just needed to get through the night and it would be July. I told him make it to July, so we can celebrate your birthday on the 14th.

I didn’t want to say goodbye, but I knew he needed to rest. After I told him I loved him, my dad said the only full sentence during the whole conversation. “I love you, and I’ll talk to you in the morning.” With that, I felt 100% better, I knew that there was still a fight left in him. I also knew, he said that to make me feel better — just like dads always do.

His fever broke in the middle of the night and he went on to go into remission after his treatment. Unfortunately, the cancer did come back and he passed away on October 2nd, 2007.

I am truly thankful for that additional year that was made possible by his doctors and organizations like the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS). When I think of the fight that my dad put up during his painful treatment, it makes the pain of climbing mountains on my bike seem less significant. And when I think of the work that LLS does for research to come up with better treatments, it makes me more determined to reach my fundraising goal.

I am asking you again today, please help me reach that goal. I have already contributed some of my own money, but I am willing to contribute more. If you are willing to donate today, I will make a matching contribution as well. Together we can help beat cancer!

To donate, go to or mail a check to Patrick Anderson, 8822 E Easter Pl, Centennial, CO 80112 (make checks payable to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society).


P.S. I wanted to thank everyone that has contributed so far:
Alvin & Kelly Anderson
Dan Weatherly
J, J & J’s Inc.
Douglas Anderson
PCMforless of NC, INC
Debbie Fischer
Andrea Suhaka
Gerald Blackler
Pauline & Lewis Crossley
Todd Johnson
William Owens
Marinda Weatherly
Debra Armbruster
Michael Hamrick
Jennifer Grundman
Lydia Adams
Rebecca Bliss
Christine Mount
Charles Whelan